James Marinero's Blog: Mediterranean Tensions                                                  

Mediterranean Tensions

    
Recently, when I was researching Sicilian Channel I was waiting at a bus stop in Malta. Eventually a bus arrived and stopped, queue moves to board. A man - Somali/Eritrean/Ethiopian, I would judge - entered the queue from the wrong side. The bus driver told him to get off the bus and join the queue in an orderly fashion. Man swears at bus driver and continues into bus (has shown a valid ticket).

Bus driver sees red, tells man he needs to learn manners to stay in Malta, orders man off bus. Man refuses. Huge argument. I am now alongside the driver waiting to pay my fare. Driver phones police and argument continues, engine  switched off.

Fortunately another bus arrived and I changed buses. As I sat down the man in question boarded the same bus. He obviously decided not to wait for the police.

Labels: , ,